For the past couple of months, my wife and I had been saving up to buy a Roomba. We were just waiting to move into our new apartment to spend our HKD 5,000 on the robotic vacuum when, as if by chance, I stumbled upon this other device called the Virobi Slim Robotic Duster in my local home store. The photo on the box caught my attention – a UFO looking device that sweeps your floor in a slim box? Was it too good to be true?
I really didn’t know what to make of it at the store. So, I quickly Googled it and found a couple of reviews and videos on YouTube. That’s when I realised that this device was not a robot vacuum, but a robot duster. And at a promo price for HKD 349 (plus 20 replacement cloths free), I wasn’t going to lose sleep over if it didn’t work out.
So, after owning a Vileda Virobi Slim Robotic Duster for over a week, I finally decided to give it a try. And to be honest, I am quite impressed.
An Alternative For A Roomba
The technology behind the Vileda Virobi Slim Robotic Duster is as simple as it gets. There are no sensors, no fancy hardware, no apps, just a dry cloth on wheels designed to dust your floor. And it does its job well. The electrostatic cloth is attached to the robot via velcro. As the robot moves around your house, bouncing from object to object, the cloth (which has the texture of an air filter) collects dust, and hair from the floor.
The robot duster has two modes, 30 mins and 120 mins, which are self explanatory.
The Vileda Virobi Slim Robotic Duster is a perfect fit for us for the following reasons:
- Small apartment with hardwood and marble flooring
- House only cleaned once a week
- Dust from shoes and fallen hair accumulates through the week
As such, the Vileda Virobi Slim Robotic Duster is the ideal candidate to run twice a week to dust the floor in our apartment.
Pros & Cons Of The Vileda Virobi
- DAT price.
- Does exactly what it’s designed to do – dust your floor – and does it very well.
- Cheap to operate – rechargeable batteries and electrostatic mop cloths.
- Easy to store and clean.
- Easy to operate.
- It’s not a vacuum, it’s a duster. It wipes the floor with a dry cloth.
- Tends to get stuck in small spaces with a pair of 90 degree angles.
- Spills trapped dust, etc. at times when it rams into objects.
- Need to clear the floor of wires, small objects before running it.
- Not suitable for carpeted areas, I presume.
A Budget-Friendly Robot Cleaner
For HKD 349, this robotic cleaner is a no brainer. Sure, it doesn’t have a vacuum function, but it does the job that it’s designed for really well. If you’re worried about all that dust and hair on the floor, have the Virobi Slim Robotic Duster sweep it up.